Workshop write up 24/11/2017

We were put into groups to come up with a human-centred design. Following the four design steps: reframe, personas, brainstorming and selecting, and storyboarding.

Reframe: We were given the issue of climate change, and for our group in particular, our issue was more frequent extreme weather and rise in temperature in 2050.

Personas: Our group decided to come up with a character who is a french farmer. The apple farming business is a handed- down family business, although it is not run by a chain company, it is the main employer in the region. The business has always replied on seasons, therefore he is not familiar with dealing with climate change.

Brainstorming and Selecting: as a group of four, we brainstormed some ideas individually. We then looked at them together as a group, and realised that a lot of them are similar in some ways. We selected and combined a few main ideas and added more precise descriptions to them, in order to create a final complete storyboard.

Storyboarding: The french farmer has always been happy with his apple harvests, until recently the weather has been very extreme, he even starts experiencing droughts. He finds a solution of having a protective greenhouse-like shelter, which not only is it portable, it could also collect the heat from the outside, then cooling it down before releasing it into the protected space. Since the shelter is designed for extreme scenarios like droughts, first layer of roof would open up when it is raining, rainwater would then be stored and treated in the roof, and would be released into the soil when needed. Moisture monitors are obviously installed in the soil, which is connected to the shelter. The monitors are made of fibre that could trap excessive moisture from the soil and release when it is too dry.

I find the workshop very helpful in terms of allowing us to practise designing human-centred designs. I especially enjoyed it because it allows us as practising designers to be very creative and imaginative through out the process. I also find the personas very helpful, it could get difficult sometimes to design for future scenarios, because the topic is so broad that it is easy to get lost. Having a persona helps me stay on track and a lot more focused. I also enjoyed working in a group with others, although we have had group workshops before, they did not require as much creativity and effort as the human- centred design workshop. It was really interesting to hear others thought and see how wide of a variety of ideas we could come up with as a group. The most challenging part I would say was when we had to create the persona, of course we wanted to be as precise as possible, and so we had to almost create this person based on the background information we were given. Since the situation is set in the future, it was difficult to be so precise with the person we were creating, which is why we chose to create a person who is from a small town, where nothing too dramatic happens.

The human- centred design is definitely something I could continue practising in the future. Especially with the works I am creating, they are often design around human beings, they are not necessarily very high-tech, but the human-centred design would  definitely make it easier to create a tailor-made model for humans. The four steps are also easy to follow, and are easy to build designs upon them.